Independent & Image Art Space (Chongqing, China) presents an online exhibition open call with the theme of “IMAGES OF WOMEN”.
ABOUT EXHIBITION THEME
IMAGES OF WOMEN
In 1971, the American art historian Linda Nochlin published an article Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists, which was regarded as a pioneering work in feminist art history and art theory, and made a great influence. Now, about 50 years later, when we ask this question again, what answers pop into people’s minds?
Today’s society discusses women’s social identities, not only about equality and empowerment, but also about the potential changes that women’s creativity can bring to the world. In this exhibition, we hope to listen to the voices of women and to know their views on themselves, society, and the world.
At the same time, this is not an exhibition only for female artists. We embrace diversity in terms of gender, race, ethnicity, belief, age, etc. We hope to see the images of women made by different groups of people, and to understand how they view women and the roles women play in our world.
As Nochlin said in the article: “Rather, using as a vantage point their situation as underdogs in the realm of grandeur, and outsiders in that of ideology, women can reveal institutional and intellectual weaknesses in general, and, at the same time that they destroy false consciousness, take part in the creation of institutions in which clear thought—and true greatness—are challenges open to anyone, man or woman, courageous enough to take the necessary risk, the leap into the unknown.”
May 1- June 5, 2022
April 20, 2022 at 11.59 p.m. GMT+8
April 25, 2022
There is no limit on the art medium, size, year of production, artist age, or nationality, but the submitted works should respond to the exhibition theme “IMAGES OF WOMEN”.
SELECTED ARTISTS WILL WIN
- artworks show at an online virtual exhibition;
- Chinese-English bilingual online feature at our website;
- Chinese-English bilingual digital catalog to be published on ISSUU and widely promoted;
- showcase the selected works on the internationally influential art platform: ARTLAND;
- Chinese-English bilingual artist promotion on popular Chinese social media: WeChat Public Account, Art Express App, ZAIYI App and Xiaohongshu, on the platform: MEDIUM, and on international social media Instagram, Twitter, Facebook;
- priority to our further events, including offline exhibitions in our Chongqing space, art projects, art fairs in China and internationally and other art events.
ARTISTS WHO SUBMITTED WORKS
- All artists will be considered for any further events, including offline exhibitions in our Chongqing space, art projects, art fairs in China and internationally and other art events;
- Submitted works will be promoted to our social media if we think suitable.
- Artist retains the sole copyright for the images;
- Submitted images can be available for public viewing on our website and social media, including in relation to promotional activities for the exhibition;
- All display images will be credited with their artist name.
- $50 up to 6 works;
- Submission fees are non-refundable.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Please fill in and submit the form below;
- Pay the submission fees with PayPal, clicking the following payment button;
- Send your work images (3- 6 work images, JEPG, 300dpi, each image no larger than 5MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label your work image as “Familyname_worktitle”.
Up to 6 images